CMS will soon begin mailing out new Medicare cards to all beneficiaries that contain NEW Medicare Beneficiary Identification (MBI) numbers. The new Medicare identification numbers will no longer contain Social Security Numbers and are intended to help protect individuals’ identities. Below is important information related to the issuance of new Medicare cards:
- New Medicare cards will be assigned to all Medicare beneficiaries
- The new cards will contain an 11 character identifier that is unique to each beneficiary
- The mailing will occur between April 2018 and April 2019. Beneficiaries should be patient; they may receive their card at a different time than a friend or neighbor
- Once beneficiaries receive their new card they are encouraged to destroy their old card and begin using the new card right away
- This does not affect your ID card with your Health Plan.
What you should do:
- Please let us know as soon as you have your new number. Click here to see how beneficiaries can update an address with Social Security:
Health Plans will update member’s files as CMS informs us of the beneficiaries’ new identification number, through 2019.
CMS will continue to accept existing Medicare numbers through 12/31/2019; however the transition will be easier if you submit enrollment forms using the new Medicare number whenever possible.